The Vitamin – B Complex: Types of Vitamin B.
B vitamins are water-soluble, quite delicate, and easily destroyed by heat and alcohol.
It is the main reason why people who take alcohol are deficient in most of the Vitamins in Vitamin-B complex class.
There are different types of Vitamin-B, all available in Kenya 🇰🇪. Here are the basic types of Vitamin-B Complex:
- Thiamin (B1) – Deficiency causes Beriberi
- Riboflavin (B2) – Deficiency is rare except for people who take excessive alcohol & cow milk.
- Niacin (B3) – Deficiency causes Pellagra, common to people who excessively drink alcohol or people who live on an exclusive corn (maize) diet.
- Pantothenic acid (B5) – Deficiency is extremely rare but can be detected in people who drink alcohol excessively.
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) – Deficiency in people who drink excessive amounts of alcohol, women (especially those on the contraceptive pill), the elderly, and people with thyroid disease the most at risk.
- Biotin (B7) – Deficiency is rare. Supplementation may benefit nails and hair growth.
- Folate or folic acid (B9) – Women of childbearing age should take folic acid supplements. Deficiency causes neural tube defects in unborn children like spina bifida.
- Cyanocobalamin (B12) – Deficiency common in the elderly and vegans.