There is nothing wrong with living in the skin you feel comfortable in. Most chemical skin bleaching creams are not only dangerous and can cause diseases but also illegal in Kenya. These commonly Chinese skin whitening products contain mercury or hydroquinone, dangerous chemicals that can even cause nerve damage.
That aside, lighter skin complexion is achievable without using bleaching creams sold illegally in Kenya from China. Buyer beware.
In this article, I am going to share natural ways of lightening your skin without bleaching chemicals. Of course, you are not going to change your natural black colour to a Caucasian white face. That is unrealistic.
I am not telling you to do the Michael Jackson thing.
I will start with one of the most effective and I would say my favourite of all the natural skin lightening homemade recipes.
Are you ready? Here we go starting with my favorite most effective
Organic Turmeric, Sandalwood Extract, and Milk
Sandalwood is mainly native in India, Sri-Lanka and parts of Australia. It is a rare, over exploited plant with many medicinal and cosmetic value. Sandalwood oil is among the most expensive essential oils in the market today. Sandalwood not only lightens skin but it also treats acne, reduces scars and sunburn.
Turmeric is another miracle spice native in India and parts of southern Asia countries. Turmeric, as you may already know, is a miracle weight loss supplement especially belly fat and controlling appetite.
Having turmeric in your home will prove to be very wise move but make sure you only use organic turmeric on your skin.
Add two tablespoons of sandalwood powder, a teaspoon of turmeric powder and some milk in a bowl. Add in the milk to the dry ingredients until a thick paste is formed.
This should be like porridge consistency or lotion consistency.
First, exfoliate your skin to allow maximum absorption of these organic ingredients. To exfoliate, add a tea spoonful of Moroccan Argan oil to brown sugar and scrub your face, your neck, behind the ears and your hands. Rinse with water and pat dry. You can repeat as many times as you want until you achieve clear smooth skin.
Later, apply your skin lightening mask on your face and leave it on for about 20 -30 minutes before rinsing off. These ingredients are some well-known natural whitening agents and they remove impurities from skin effectively.
Repeat this about 2-3 times a week and you will start noticing a much brighter, lighter smooth face. As an added benefit, you will also notice acne will disappear especially because of Moroccan Argan Oil, Turmeric & Sandalwood.
Pawpaw Face Mask
You already know how delicious a pawpaw is. Eating pawpaw daily can actually make your skin lighter and brighter – NOT BLEACHED.
If you are allergic to pawpaw white exudation, only use over ripened pawpaw. Please note you can combine more than one fruit mentioned here to come up with your own skin whitening mask.
- Crush a ripe pawpaw and add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Using a blender or whichever method you have available, mix it to form a yogurt like consistency face mask.
Exfoliate your skin as explained above with brown sugar and Moroccan Argan oil. If you do not have Morrocan Argan oil, you can use molten coconut oil with brown sugar. After you exfoliate,
Apply the pawpaw face lightening mask you just made and let it stay for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your skin thoroughly with a non-soap facial cleanser like Aveeno Facial cleanse.
You will notice your skin will instantly feel softer, look tighter and brighter. Repeat this twice a week and you will notice a significant difference.
For even better results, apply this mask at night before bed time. Once you have rinsed out the mask on the last step above, apply Vitamin C facial serum and let it stay overnight.
Benefits of applying Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C is the most important ingredient of collagen, the substance that binds cells together. Stable collagen production fights wrinkles and ensures evenness in the skin’s tone and texture. Sun rays in Kenya and countries close to the equator is believed to have stronger UV rays that further damage the skin. Vitamin C serum function as an antioxidant also benefits the skin, as it is able to protect the skin from damaging free radicals.
Dried Orange Peels + Yoghurt
Put orange peels under the sun until they are dry and crispy. Please note that while orange is rich in Vitamin C, Dried orange peels do not have vitamin C. Vitamin C is volatile and is destroyed by the sun.
It is better to follow up every procedure with Vitamin C serum to help repair your skin, remove wrinkles, lighten and brighten your skin.
- Grind dry orange peels into a powder
- Mix the powder with raw unprocessed yogurt. For better results, ferment your own milk as popularly known in Kenya – Maziwa lala.
- Do not use commercially bought pasteurized milk or processed yogurt, unless you cannot find Maziwa lala. If you use commercially processed yogurt, avoid yogurts with additives like probiotics.
- Exfoliate your skin as above using brown sugar and Organic Moroccan Argan oil and pat the skin to dry.
- Apply the face brightening mask and let it dwell for 20-30 minutes then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this mask two to three times a week for best results.
Apply Vitamin C Serum and let it stay overnight. You’ll be amazed how smooth, even , brighter and lighter your skin will become.
Tomato + Yoghurt + Oatmeal Mask
You will notice that some of the most highly recognized cosmetic brands like Aveeno heavily use oatmeal. In fact, oatmeal is not only good for your skin but also great food for reducing cholesterol due to high fiber content.
- Smash a ripe tomato and mix it with Yogurt and oatmeal. Stir it until you get a pasty mask.
- It is better to have ground oatmeal into a powder form.
- Apply the mask on your exfoliated face using Organic Moroccan Argan oil and raw brown sugar.
- Let it stay for 20-30 minutes and repeat as necessary.
- Once the skin is rinsed, always follow with Vitamin C serum for best results.
Ground Gram Flour + Honey + Milk + Turmeric Mask
This could be the most effective face lightening homemade masks that you can get your hands on in Kenya. A picture is worth a thousand words. The above picture says it all.
Mix gram flour, honey turmeric and milk in equal portions to form a yogurt-like paste and play it to your skin. Allow it to dwell for about 45 minutes before rinsing it out and applying vitamin C serum.
Potato Juice Mask
Potato juice offers a variety of benefits for the skin. It whitens and moisturizes the skin, removes impurities, and eliminates dark circles and eye bags when applied under eyes.
- Crush and grind raw potatoes to form a smooth porridge-like paste and apply on an exfoliated skin with raw brown sugar and Moroccan Argan oil.
- Repeat this several times a week and apply Vitamin C Serum each and every time after rinsing the mask.
It is even better to apply each mask type each day. The reason being, each of the said natural organic ingredient has different nutrients that brightens the skin.
Example, Pawpaw has Papain enzyme known to brighten the skin naturally without bleaching.
Yogurt has lactic acid an organic non-harmful product that naturally smoothes and brightens the skin without dangerous chemicals.
Lemons have Citric acid that is a nutritious component required by our bodies to not only brighten and whiten the skin but also to boost immunity
But it is even more effective, natural, harmless and with natural cellular immune benefits when you mix the masks above with Vitamin C serum and L-Glutathione Supplements.
Skin Whitening Glutathione – How to use Glutathione to lighten your skin.
Glutathione is probably one of the most important supplement one can take to boost immunity, prolong life – YES!, increase energy and lighten your skin without affecting the melamine. I have written more on where to buy Glutathione in Kenya
Here are more added benefits of using Skin brightening L-Glutathione
- Glutathione is a potent cellular repair agent – anti-aging
- Glutathione increases cellular metabolism and increases disease-fighting properties of your body. This is why glutathione supplements are recommended to patients with cellular destructive diseases like cancer, chemotherapy, burns, etc.
- Glutathione is an anti-inflammatory and probably the most potent naturally occurring. Glutathione will improve inflammatory diseases like arthritis, asthma, common cold and prevent you from getting them in the first place
- Glutathione protects your body from damages caused by heavy metals like Mercury – commonly used in skin bleaching products sold in Kenya illegally.
- Glutathione is a potent liver antioxidant and a primary ingredient in liver detox recipes. Toxic accumulation in the liver is among the commonest causes of acne, bad breath, and poor sleep patterns. Lack of enough sleep alone damages your skin – together with daily stress
- Glutathione increases cognitive function and alertness. This is because it is capable of permeating through blood-brain barrier causing antioxidation and detoxification of the brain and the nervous system. This explains why Glutathione is even used to treat depression and other neural system diseases.
- Glutathione lightens and brightens the skin – naturally
How to Whiten Your Skin using L- Glutathione pills.
A few things before I get into the skin lightening recipe with L-Glutathione. Glutathione is very poorly absorbed in the stomach and it is rapidly damaged by stomach acid. Taking just any commercially sold L-Glutathione may not have any effect due to this reason.
You must take either Lipoic L-Glutathione or Reduced L-Glutathione. Since lipoic L-Glutathione is very expensive and must be kept refrigerated at all times, I would recommend using Reduced L-Glutathione
To achieve Skin whitening therapeutic dose of L-Glutathione, You MUST take 20-40mg per KG of body weight in 2-3 doses daily. Meaning if you weigh 60kg, you must take 1200mg – 2400mg daily divided into 2-3 doses. Something like 2 500mg caps twice in the morning.
Take enough vitamin C to allow better absorption of Reduced glutathione.
Remember Vitamin c serum discussed above? You can never go wrong with adequate doses of vitamin C. If you are pregnant, do not exceed 500mg of vitamin C per day – FYI
Always use a good sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage. There is no need to go for any sunscreen above 45spf. That is all you need.
Summary of how you can lighten your skin naturally. The must Have
- Organic Moroccan Argan Oil or coconut oil. Go with Argan oil for this purpose
- Vitamin C Serum as discussed above
- Brown raw sugar
- Reduced L-Glutathione supplement.
- Vitamin C.
Be realistic with your expectations. You will never look Caucasian if your skin is naturally black but you can brighten and lighten your skin without bleaching.
Your skin renews every 15-30 day, meaning, using these homemade recipes regularly is a good idea. If you stop feeding your skin with these natural foods instead of chemicals, you might have to feed it with chemicals as food.
Avoid chemical bleaching skin whitening products.